The SAP S/4 HANA platform provides a high level of flexibility and expansion possibilities, both of which are built into the solution and made possible by the presence of the complete ABAP development environment. During the project, the implementation team may make decisions that could eventually result in a rise in the environment’s total cost of ownership because of the regular operations and upgrades that take place. During the process of implementing the solution, SAP strongly advises project teams to adhere as closely as possible to the standard functionality and to restrict the use of certain extensibility and custom coding techniques to only the most pressing circumstances in which the solution must be modified to support the organization’s business goals.
Keeping the solution as near to the standard as feasible is beneficial for businesses that are adopting SAP S/4HANA in their operations because it enables them to more rapidly adopt innovations that SAP provides for on-premises and cloud-based systems. ” SAP Activate provides customers with assistance and oversight for the application. This is done to assist customers in the execution of this approach.
To provide project teams, architects, technical and functional consultants, and key users with guidelines for implementing the solution in a way that makes it easier to upgrade and continuously enhance, SAP has published five golden rules for implementing SAP S/4 HANA.
Here are 5 things to consider while implementing SAP S/4 HANA solutions:
Develop a Cloud-First Attitude by Consistently Implementing Fit-to-Standard and Agile Deployment, as described in the SAP Activate Documentation.
The following types of behaviour are considered to come under this rule:
- Utilize SAP standard processes wherever it is practicable to do so.
- Your solution should be deployed in an iterative manner using short releases and sprints.
Leverage the SAP Fiori User Experience while utilizing Preconfigured Solutions with Predefined Processes
The following are the available options for the preconfigured solutions:
- SAP’s Recommendations for Both the SAP S/4HANA Cloud and the SAP S/4HANA Platform (on-premises)
- Enterprise management layer for SAP S/4HANA
- Packaged solutions for SAP-qualified partners
- Modern SAP Fiori UX
Make Sure That the Latest Integration Technologies Are Utilized
To make use of contemporary integration technologies, follow these guidelines:
- Use public APIs (also known as allow-listed APIs).
- Do not offer any kind of native access to APIs that are not open to the public.
- When integrating, be sure to follow the SAP Activate guidance that has been provided.
- Make use of the capabilities offered by SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) for cloud integration.
Ensure the Implementation of State-of-the-Art Extensibility Technologies
To make use of today’s technologies that allow for extensibility, follow these guidelines:
- Utilizing SAP Business Transformation Platform, develop company expansions using a side-by-side method.
- Utilize the essential user extensibility to accomplish code-free additions.
- Make use of the developer extensibility feature to generate bespoke code if necessary.
- Avoid backend enhancements.
- Don’t change the SAP source code.
Ensure that there is Transparency Regarding Deviations
Here are some of the ways how you can totally ensure transparency:
- Any deviations should be well documented as part of the implementation process; doing so will assist the organization in replacing them with standard capabilities if they become available in the future.
- To document the solution, you should make use of the typical features offered by ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) solutions such as SAP Solution Manager or SAP Cloud ALM.
The following advantages become available to businesses who operate following these guidelines:
Adopting standard procedures cuts down on the number of decisions that need to be made as well as the amount of work that must be done to set up, personalize, and test the solution. As a result, implementation can be completed in less time and with fewer resources. This method also makes it possible to personalize the solution in cases when an organization would be better served by employing a specialized answer rather than the one that is considered conventional. In many respects, this is a balancing act between implementing the solution in a manner that is almost identical to the standard and making the most of the benefits that the organization may derive from the solution.
When the amount of changes made to the solution is cut down, the software becomes cleaner and easier to upgrade and continuously improve, which ultimately results in a cheaper overall cost of initial implementation and ongoing upgrades.
Your company will be able to innovate at a faster rate when it has a clean core since it will be prepared to take advantage of the regular advances that SAP offers to your system.
Adopting industry-standard software will reduce the amount of risk that your company is exposed to, which may include potential security flaws. These risks could be introduced in custom code during the project.
The use of contemporary technology, such as open application programming interfaces (APIs) for expansion and integration, positions the system for the future and enables companies to continue to benefit from a system that has been thoughtfully developed even as technologies advance. If an organization continues to make use of outdated technologies, those technologies will eventually become obsolete. When this happens, the business will need to make investments in rethinking and rebuilding components of the system that make use of outdated technologies.
Highbar Technocrat Limited, an SAP Gold Partner, helps clients in India and abroad to help them manage change. Highbar adopts an integrated approach to help you rethink your business, with a high level of agility and efficiency. At Highbar we see disruption as an opportunity to help clients transform their business with granular solutions. Handling change requires confidence in decision making and Highbar enables this confidence in clients.
Our forte is offering digitally integrated solutions for the Infrastructure, EC&O, Real Estate, Mining, Oil & Gas, Power, Smart Cities, Government, Manufacturing sectors, and a lot more. Our domain expertise combined with the ERP helps clients become intelligent enterprises and highly receptive to the needs of the customer. With our strategic alliances, we help clients transform business operations, leverage data, and integrate sustainability to match the speed of change.
For further information, don’t hesitate to contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at +91 89767 11399.